Aspiration and vision inform the masterplanning process. The purpose of a masterplan is to generate objectives, encapsulate ideas and visually represent them.
A masterplan allows us to shape the environment in which we live and work. It requires the fusion of social, environmental, political, economic and functional considerations. Sheppard Robson’s experience, expertise and philosophy of approach places the practice at the forefront in the provision of urban design and masterplanning services.
We seek out projects which enable us to actively engage in a process which involves imagination and rigorous critique; we have no formulaic response but look for a unique approach to each of these projects. We embrace our diversity and we will work with anybody who excites and interests us.
Sheppard Robson is a multi-sector design led practice with expertise across all architectural disciplines, building and land uses, typologies and scales. In dealing with complex masterplans we can draw upon cross-sector knowledge to ensure deliverability, precision and richness.
From the intimate scale of innovative terraced housing design in east London to a Life-Sciences masterplan in a central urban context for a major public healthcare provider, Sheppard Robson works on a wide variety of masterplan and urban design projects, such as:
- East Wick & Sweetwater – Two new neighbourhoods in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park providing 1,500 mixed-tenure homes, employment space, leisure, community and education facilities.
- Chrisp Street, London - Mixed-use regeneration scheme in Poplar, comprising 650 mixed-tenure residential homes and the creation of a new vibrant setting for the existing market, with shops, a new six-screen cinema, cafes and community facilities
- Fitzroy Square, London - Redevelopment of the former Middlesex Hospital site, to provide a mixed-use scheme including private and affordable residential, two large commercial office buildings and small retail outlets focussed around central public space.
- St. Andrews Park, London - masterplan for former the RAF Uxbridge site, 44.4ha residential development of 1,250 homes around existing parkland, with a mixed-use urban extension to the town centre
- Camden Town Masterplan, London - Commissioned by Camden Town Unlimited, the masterplan aims to rejuvenate the area’s cultural and commercial offer.
- Water Aid, Africa – working with charity Water Aid, a series of masterplans to improve the water supply and sanitation in four of Africa’s most rapidly expanding cities - Lusaka (Zambia), Kinshasa (DR Congo), Lagos (Nigeria) and Maputo (Mozambique).
- South Dalmarnock, Glasgow - delivering a development masterplan for this area of Glasgow, transforming an area adjacent to the Commonwealth Games Athletes’ Village.