Lichfields is the pre-eminent planning and development consultancy in the UK.
Our specialists offer insight, innovative thinking and expert advice to create great places for future generations. With over two hundred people operating from eight offices across the UK, we combine local contacts with national experience to deal with challenging projects.
Urban design is an integral part of Lichfields’ wider planning offer, often combining this with our long established expertise in economics, townscape analysis, conservation, GIS and consultation. Our approach is creative, realistic and collaborative, based on a thorough understanding of context, and always seeking to identify where we can add value.
We are very experienced and able to deal with many design related projects:
- Masterplanning of new places, neighbourhoods and urban extensions. Our frameworks and strategies guide the development of key sites, incorporating imaginative proposals grounded in economic reality.
- Townscape and Visual Impact assessment for developments in sensitive urban or rural sites. Lichfields’ guidance has helped to highlight positive local characteristics and encourage high quality, contemporary design in some of the UK’s most sensitive locations.
- Heritage and conservation including detailed analysis of buildings, the settings and, more widely, conservation areas.
- Design advice, input to planning applications such as preparing Design and Access Statements and presenting expert evidence at public inquiries.
- Development briefs and design codes that meet the expectations of economically viable, high quality and sustainable development.
- Daylight and sunlight analysis, enabling development to be accurately modelled and tested, guiding proposals for complex urban sites.
- Consultation. We have the knowledge and skills to aid communication and understanding between clients, stakeholders and the wider community. Our flexible and inclusive approach means that we engage in dialogue with the community and built environment professionals alike.
We identify bespoke solutions for each project but draw on our varied experience, including inputs to some of the country’s biggest development projects. We’re always looking for an innovative and tailored solution, drawing together various expertise. We do this for every client, for every project. It is what makes us stand out.