Gillespies is a multi-disciplinary design practice, embracing masterplanning, urban design, landscape design and landscape planning, well-known for its award-winning regeneration and place-making projects. We are committed to the creation of places that respond to their community, have a high regard for the quality of their environment and acknowledge their physical and cultural context.
The practice has accumulated a large body of completed projects in many UK towns and cities, and we are also working in many locations in Europe, the Middle East, China, South East Asia and North America. Our aim always is to work with our clients, stakeholders and local communities to create sustainable places, taking account of context, sense of place and local identity to create stimulating and engaging communities.
URBAN DESIGN AND PLACE-MAKING ETHOS
Places are alive with the social, cultural, economic and natural characteristics that make each unique. Cities, towns and developments of all sizes have innate elements to be celebrated, while striving to fulfil their future potential. Cities should be legible through intelligent use of public space, landmarks and effective links, creating a coherent townscape with thriving neighbourhoods – bringing ownership of the city back to its occupants. Vibrant neighbourhoods, convenient and legible movement, and strong networks of public spaces that people want to spend time in, are the cornerstones of our design approach.
SELECTED RECENT PROJECTS
- St Giles Circus Urban Realm, London
- Bradford’s City Park, Yorkshire
- Bristol Temple Meads master plan, Bristol
- Sheffield Urban Design Compendium, Sheffield
- Paddington Basin, London
- Heath Town master plan, Wolverhampton
- Sutton Town Centre Master plan
- Weston-super-Mare Area Development Framework, Somerset
- Glasgow City Centre Public Realm Strategy, Streets and Spaces
- Grainger Town, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Centro Midland Metro Tram network, Birmingham
- Former Selly Oak Hospital master plan, Birmingham
- Oxford Street, Regent Street & Bond Street Action Plan, London
- Brighton Tall Building Study, Brighton
- Suzhou Eco-Town master plan for new community, Jiangsu province, China
- Gutenborg, St Petersburg, Russia
- Park Russia, Moscow, Russia
- Abu Dhabi public realm manual, UAE
- Channel Ridge, Salt Spring Island, Vancouver, Canada
- Master plan for new mixed use community, Cairo, Egypt
- Moscow expansion master plan competition win, Moscow, Russia
- Dubai International Financial Centre, UAE
The Civic Trust, RTPI, Landscape Institute, Urban Design Group, Academy of Urbanism, the Scottish Planning Awards, and the International Property Awards.